Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Out of Many Came One

-Plz click on photo for better view-
One of my many guilty pleasures is interacting with total strangers and taking photos of them…often with their approval. Since I also have an insane affinity for t-shirts that have well-designed iconic images on them, my camera recently worked overtime during a late night stroll with friends in town as we went to see a fireworks display.
I came across these kool chaps whose 5 different pics (taken in different parts of town) I put together into one because the Icons on their tees mean a lot to me & also as a reminder of all the crazy fun we had as they willingly agreed to pose for photos.
Left-to-Right, starting in the middle with the boy on the bike..
-This kid must have been 7 or 8yrs old when 2Pac died but he let me know he is one big fan. His tee has a photo of the Icon from the Gridlock'd movie which is one of my favorite screen performances by the late Amaru (T.I.P).
-Although he's not cracking a smile in the pic, this one's another wise-joke cracking youth that I let know I like the two Hip hop icons on his Tee & he quickly told his buddies to clear & make room as I took this must-have photo.
-Another kind youth that gladly let me take a pic of him rocking Ali The Greatest. This was way past midnite and he didn’t mind posing for the camera right in the middle of the thick, late night crowd. He kept telling funny stories as I clicked away:)
-My absolute favorite of all photos I took this night. This guy was the funniest I saw & I just had to let him know I was going to do a double take for the expression he had on his face:))
As Credd, a photo fanatic friend noted, “he's got that 'are you for real? expression going on” , very true since he was a little unsure of how to pose for this stranger asking for a photo-op so he acted funny as his girlfriend and buddies kept mocking him. I absolutely like the very rare kind of Ray Charles Tee he’s sporting. I just couldn’t let slip into the depths of the night crowd. Before I went on looking for more nice tees, I reminded him & the rest that I'll be emailing them this pic & also have it on my blog to which he asked: "Yo! Is it gonna make me famous?" My reply: "I Can Make U Famous!" Well, atleast out of many came one & he stole the limelight,lol!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tangu..

That is a Dope ass picture..of course figuring what you had to do to make it the final product

7/20/2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

kijana you do know your a genious with pics..woe unto OUR enemies who's balls we'd practically hold with a single photo-your mad skills and my cheeky blackmail tactics.

Evil and eviller.

7/20/2005 12:40 PM  
Blogger akiey said...

@ Msanii_xl, Thanks a lot & wonder no more...I put the kid in the middle of the frame then stroke by stroke, digitally painted the rest of the fellas around him. They were all night shots so they merged easily.

@ Nick, hehe! "..genius"?asante but hey, seeing some pics I create makes me feel like mine qualifies as borderline insanity,lol!
Lets collaborate on a movie book of sorts. Could all it "Evil and Eviller"?
You do the cleverly plotted script, I paint the crazy pics & we'll run our enemies out of town,lol!!

7/21/2005 5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog as I never know what to expect and have I ever told you you are one of the most creative people I know?

I like the photo especially the tee with Ray Charles - lovely!

7/21/2005 9:34 AM  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

Game On bro!

7/22/2005 12:15 PM  
Blogger akiey said...

@ mshairi, Merci beaucoup!I feel encouraged by equally very creative friends like you:)) (Psst, I at times can't tell what the next post will be,lol!)

That Ray Charles tee is one of a kind & I hope the guy knows that:)

@ Nick, very kool, now get drafting as I get sketching ndugu. We just might create a masterpiece.

7/24/2005 4:04 AM  
Blogger Farmgal said...

I hope you dont mind interacting with this total stranger. loving your work ...

7/24/2005 8:02 AM  
Blogger akiey said...

@ Farmgal, I have no doubt I'd enjoy interacting with you stranger...if you allow me to click away as you tell me more about your DIY painting fun:)

@ Poi, Thanks, your compliment feels like a "kodak moment". You're welcome back often.

7/26/2005 1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous aka former blogger& a friend:-): Lovely! lovely! Lovely!!!

7/26/2005 11:27 AM  
Blogger akiey said...

Thanks Anonymous-former blogger-friend, always good to see you around here. Wish you could still keep your blog running:)

7/27/2005 1:24 AM  
Blogger Uaridi said...

Kusema kweli it is also a pleasure of mine to talk to total strangers. I want to know where they are from, what they do, etc. Aren't strangers friends you have not met?

Love the photos. Publish(ing)(ed)? thinking of?

7/28/2005 8:57 AM  
Blogger akiey said...

@ Uaridi, I also feel the same way about strangers & often wonder if I had met the ones I really click with best in a past life or something,lol!
-Am happy you like the photos, I try to explore newer ways of presenting thoughts via images. Publishing has been on my mind since fall last year & slowly I already have the ideas for the book in mind (plz check my Feb 14 post).

7/29/2005 4:06 PM  
Blogger Farmgal said...

@akiey click away sweetie click away

7/30/2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger akiey said...

@ farmgal, you bet I will since I always have my camera with me:) and...you are the sweetest:))

7/31/2005 12:41 AM  
Blogger akiey said...

@Anna, you're welcome & I wish you strength as you deal with the current situation. Think & stay positive:)

8/02/2005 12:31 AM  
Blogger akiey said...

Hey Kagz, thanks for dropping by & getting this far with my posts:)
Glad you appreciate the photo work.

Will mos def get you details on how to select a good camera & remember the higher the cost doesn't always mean great quality. You can still do wonders with an affordable, everyday camera.
Info coming up soonest...

4/07/2006 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home